Tuesday, March 22, 2011

"Rene Magritte in Bowler Hat" By Duane Michals


I chose this image because of its unique style. It is a photo that I have not come across in most of my findings on the internet. The photographer captures this man in multiple perspectives by showing a close up image that appears faintly in the background and an image of his full body as the actual picture. Both perspectives of the man are framed within each other in the center of the photo and the space around the man is blank. I think the blank space was a good choice for this photo because if there was some other background that was chosen, it would have taken away from the different perspectives of the man the photographer was documenting. In addition, the black and white color that was chosen for this photograph gave me the feeling that the picture was an illusion of some sort and if I stare at it too long, it actually makes me dizzy! However, I like how the photographer took two possible photos and made them into one. The two photos create some sort of fogginess and lightness around each other which makes the photo (especially because it is in black and white) not too dull and dreary. My observations of the man in the photo is that he is old, but well defined. I got the feeling from looking at him from far away that he looks like a happy person. However, the closer image of him looks like he is sad and withered. Overall, I found this photo to be one of my favorites out of the collection I have posted on here so far. I think this is because this is my first time seeing something like this and also because of the different emotions I get when I see the two perspectives of the man.

No comments:

Post a Comment