Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Triplets by Diane Arbus


I chose this photo because I am doing my photography presentation on Diane Arbus and although I found most of her photos interesting, along with their meaning, this photo and its meaning stood out to me the most. This photo shows triplets wearing the same white button up blouse, skirt, and hair style. The photo is also taken in black and white. Although it is shown through this photo that each girl is wearing the same outfit from a fashion outlook, the internal expressions and genetic part is not shown which makes it somewhat of a mystery. When I researched the analysis of this photo and found out that Diane Arbus likes taking photos that give a mysterious question to them, I immediately was drawn to this particular photo. I find it fascinating that physically I can see that they look the same because of their outfit and their physical features, but mentally and internally, I do not have any information on them. This mysterious question can go even further when I look at each of the girls' expressions on their faces. Because they each have a blank stare and no smile, their personalities are also a mystery. Overall I think that Arbus really captures her mysterious motives in this picture due to its black and white features, fashionable attire, blank stares and the fact that each subject is a part of a genetic triplet.

No comments:

Post a Comment